Saturday, May 8, 2010

We're BINKY FREEEEEEE!!!!!

Do any of you ever listen to that smart (but very annoying) talk show host Dave Ramsey?  He writes and talks all about becoming debt free.  At one point in his radio program he allows people to call in and make the announcement:  "WE'RE DEBT FREE"!  After they scream this, he plays a triumphant song and there are cheers.

I think there should be a radio show that parents like Jeff and I can call into and make the same announcement about our freedom from binky's (pacifiers, whatever you call them).  I am dying to just yell from the rooftops that WE'RE BINKY FREE!!!

We actually have been for about a month now...I'm just getting around to posting about it.  Looking back, I think I was more addicted to those little plastic things than either of the girls.  It was just so easy and so nice to have them waiting in the girls' beds.  For them to suck on for comfort seemed to be such an important part of their sleeping ritual.  We were doing fairly well at slowly working them out when we all got so sick...then we took two or three steps back...I just didn't have the energy to even try to say no to those magical binkys.

When we were all feeling better, we finally took Emily Gray's advice (thanks Emily) and cut a little slice in the nipple of both binkys (Norah thank goodness has never really been into binky's...just the twins).  Laurel sucked on hers a couple of times and then declared it "BrOken" and promptly threw it away.   Maisy continued to try and suck on hers for a couple of days and finally decided it wasn't giving her the satisfaction she craved and gave it to Laurel (who had been telling her for days that it needed to go in the "Gaabadge") to throw away.  For a couple of weeks after, every time the girls would lay down to sleep they would very seriously say the following..."Binky's BrOken...Gaabadge".  We would agree and that was the end of it.  So easy...

I put together a collage of some of the many photos we have of the girls enjoying their binkys.  I actually felt a little bit of sadness putting it together...just knowing that the twins will never be this small again and never (hopefully) need to suck on a binky again.  Those days are gone.


A while ago my good friend Tawny shared a funny, funny chapter with me from Erma Bombeck's book "Motherhood, The Second Oldest Profession".  I have to share it here because at the time it made me laugh so hard I cried:

Pacifier Pioneers

"A group of mothers was discussing the ten most significant contributions to the quality of their lives one night.  Most of the suggestions were quite predictable: penicillin, fire, electricity, the automobile, ...."

"I don't care what women say, the number one choice for me is the pacifier.  How many women would be with us today were it not for that little rubber-plastic nipple that you jammed in a baby's face to keep him from crying?"

"Today, it is as much a part of a baby's face as his nose or ears, but thirty years ago the pacifier was considered a maternal crutch, a visual that screamed to the world, 'I can't cope.'"

"I was a closet pacifier advocate.  So were most of my friends.  Unknown to our mothers, we owned thirty or forty of those little suckers that were placed strategically around the house so a cry could be silenced in less than thirty seconds.  Even though bottles were boiled, rooms disinfected, and germs fought one to one, no one seemed to care where the pacifier had been."

"We found them under beds, buried in sofa cushions, thrown in ashtrays and lost in the garbage.  No child ever got sick from 'fooler around the mouth.'"

"I kept the pacifier a secret from my mother for as long as I could.  But one day she dropped by unexpectedly and demanded, 'What is this?'"

"'Do you know that if you keep using this pacifier, by the time the baby is four years old, her teeth will come in crocked and her mouth will have a permanent pout?'"

"' Do you know, Mother, if I do not use that pacifier, I may never permit her to become four?'"


" We American pioneers of the pacifier have given it the respectability it deserves.  After all, what other force in the world has the power to heal, stop tears, end suffering, sustain life, restore world peace, and is the elixer that grants mothers everywhere the opportunity to sleep...perchance to dream?"

GOOD BYE BINKY...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR FAMILY...WE WILL MISS YOU....BUT WE ARE GLAD YOU ARE GONE!



10 comments:

Clint n Britta's tribe said...

I'm so proud of you all! Congratulations!

Ruth said...

hahaha, that's awesome Hannah, good job! Maybe I have crazy kids, but neither of them really liked their binkys, maybe because they loved the real thing, if you know what I mean. I also never really offered them to them, I forgot it most of the time...
I'm glad they don't need it anymore and I agree it's hard seeing how fast they're growing and no longer need of such an insignificant thing to receive comfort.
Miss ya guys!
Ruth

Devon and Alicia said...

I love the binky! I don't think I could make it through church with a baby with out one. I just hate that I am always on a hunt to find one in our house. We are always losing them and then as soon I buy another one all of the lost binky's will show up. I will be glad for the day that we are binky free too. Two are off and one more to go. I talk about it like it is an addiction. I figure as soon as my kid is talking to me clearly with a binky hanging out of the side of their mouths it is time to give it up. I think it is harder on me then them when we have to say goodbye to the binky.
I can't wait to be diaper free!! Now that will be a day to celebrate. :)

Unknown said...

That's hilarious!! Hopefully we will be following you soon on being binkie free...

Brittany S. G. said...

When I saw the picture collage of all the binkies, all I could hear was music from the Psycho soundtrack.

Zinser Photography said...

I agree with you that it is more the moms that are addicted than the kid. Donevan gave it up pretty easily once I finally decided to give it up. Thank goodness for them though.

Nicki said...

HAAA--I'm just starting with a new addict:)! Little Ruby Alta was born on Saturday, she hasn't taken yet to the pacifier but I'm hoping with time. . . It was so good to see you and we need to see you sooner rather than later. I have a few pics on my blog. Lots of love!

Amanda L said...

oh lucky you! Just an fyi, when Robbie gives up his, I'm stealing the bulk of your post. :)

Jenks Jive said...

Haha! I love that quote from the book. I made me laugh. Pacifiers are such a lifesaver at times. Glad your girls are moving on so well. Oh, and the picture with 2 binkys in her mouth is adorable!

Brooke and Aaron said...

That reminds me, I'd like Grace to say goodbye to her pacifier by her birthday. I hope we succeed! Thank you so much for keeping such a sweet blog. I love your funny updates and all the great crafting links. Whenever I need to learn how to do something, I consult your blog because the answer will most likely be there. So thank you for being there for me even when you didn't know you were. Oh, and THANKS for taking clingy Grace for me. That was a huge help!