
Okay, maybe that is a little hasty but let me tell you about our day yesterday and maybe you can help me decide.
So (as I will talk about extensively in my next post) I got to go to Vegas and see my sister Britta (affectionately known as Bertha Boo) and her family. The trip there was great...no problems. Britta and Clint offered to let me and the girls drive back with them (they came for the girls' blessing)...so I only needed to fly one direction...which was nice.
When I first told family and friends that I was going ALONE with twin girls to Vegas and back the concerned questions like:
"Do you really think you are ready for that?" or "I'll pray for you." kind of got on my nerves...after all, how hard could it really be? I mean I've been alive for almost 32 years and I know I can do "hard things" so why would that stop me from spending time with my beloved sister? I knew it would be somewhat of a challenge but I also knew that people as a general rule are helpful and kind and if I was in a real fix I could ask someone for help. Right?
Well the week with Bertha and family was everything I'd hoped it would be and more...we had a wonderful time...at one point I even thought "I would be willing to live in hot, brown, ugly Las Vegas if it meant living near my sister"...that is big!
Anyway Friday was quickly approaching and the reality of having to get on a plane alone with two small babes was starting to make me feel a little nervous. I did what I usually do when I'm nervous and tried to prepare myself as much as possible. I called the airport to make sure that if needed there would be some help for me to get to the gate etc., I had already gone online the day before and printed out an "A" boarding pass since Sarah had warned me that Southwest changed their pre-boarding policy. I decided to call Southwest and make sure that there was no way I couldn't pre-board. I talked to a very nice woman who assured me that I could pre-board, I just needed to let the person at the ticket counter know about my situation. I was cautiously optimistic and told Clint (whose idea it was in the first place to call the airport) what the woman on the phone had said. He reassured me that it was true...why would Southwest not pre-board families? They always have.
Well it came time to get to the airport...we were running a little late (this seems to happen ALL the time with me but even worse since the arrival of these babes and all of their essential STUFF) but nothing too concerning. Traffic was worse than we expected but we still thought we had time to spare. We finally got to the airport and if you can picture this, we had a double stroller with Laurel inside and a big bag of diapers in the other part. I had a baby bjorn thingy with Maisy inside (since she was really fussy) and then Abby and Elsa tagging along (not very quickly...what did we expect?!) I'm wheeling a HUGE suitcase with all of our stuff and a diaper bag.
Well we got to the line to check my luggage and Maisy's car seat and realized that it was LONG. Laurel started crying and needed to be fed so as we pushed luggage and fed Laurel...we were moving along very slowly and as we were almost to the counter I looked up and noticed that we had been in line for almost an hour! I started to panic knowing that we still had to go through security and our plane would be leaving in a little over a half hour.
FINALLY we got to the front and I mentioned to the ticket counter lady my concerns. She told me I had pretty much missed my flight and that I'd have to wait until the next flight which was 2 hours later. I felt panicky but I remembered that I had packed enough of everything in the diaper bag in case something like this might happen. "I can do hard things"...I kept telling myself. The lady handed me my tickets and assured me that although the tickets said we were in the "B" group, I just needed to explain to the ticket person that I was told I could pre-board (confirming what the lady on the phone had said).
Camille was so graciously coming to pick us up at the SLC airport and would need to be contacted...unfortunately Jeff and I just canceled our cell phone (another long story) and Britta forgot hers...so off to the pay phones we went...I thought we could call Mom and she could contact Camille and Jeff to let them both know what was happening...the cost? $1.35 for one minute...we had $1.25 after putting together ALL of the change we could find. Finally I said to Britta..."I'm going to ask someone for a dime"...and I did and this really nice woman not only gave me a dime but another $1.25 just in case I would need it! So I called mom and to make a long story short the answering machine picked up, the phone took my money and there I was with $1.25 again...not $1.35 UGH!
I called Mom collect and miraculously she answered this time. She was amazing..within three minutes she had contacted both Jeff and Camille and all was worked out for our late pick up.
Feeling good, Bertha and I decide to spend an hour together in the airport so we go and get food for everyone...that part was of course stressful with Abby running away from us at every opportunity but nice to have that extra hour together. Two sandwiches, two corn dogs and drinks...almost $40...SHEESH!
The time came for Britta to leave me and time get to the plane. We said our goodbyes and off I went to the security gate. Laurel had finally fallen asleep and Maisy was still hooked onto me...asleep (I realized as I walked to the gate that I had completely forgotten to change diapers...Maisy is usually okay in a dirty diaper...Laurel...um NO.
I got to the gate (and having never done this before with babies) proceeded to take Laurel while in the car seat through...the nice man told me that the car seat needed to go through the scanner thingy (DUH!) so I would have to take my baby out...SHOOT...I would wake her up...but I did it and we made it through fine.
Next stop the transport to get me to my gate..."Hey this isn't too bad actually" I was thinking to myself. I got off the transport and two feet away was our gate. At that moment I heard the ticket taker guy ask over the speaker if there were any more pre-boarders.
"That is me." I thought, "shoot I need to hurry" I quickly went to the front of the "A" line, excusing myself the whole way (watch out...here comes a lady with two babies!). I handed my ticket to the ticket guy and told him that the lady downstairs had told me to tell him that I was supposed to pre-board. He looked at the ticket (which said B-68) and said:
"Your ticket says you need to be in the "B" line."
me: "Oh yeah, I was told I could pre-board since I have these two babies traveling with me."
him: "Well that's not true...you will need to get in the "B" line.
me: "But sir, I have two babies with me...and the lady downstairs said..."
him: "I don't care what she said, she had no right to tell you you could pre-board, I make those decisions"
me: (feeling very confused, anxious and frankly embarrassed that this is turning into a scene and there is a LARGE audience of travelers waiting for this to be resolved so they can get on the plane...not to mention Laurel is starting to squirm and could start siren crying at any moment) "Sir, can't you please make an exception?"
him: "Ma'am if I made an exception for you, I would have to make an exception for all of these people (pointing to the crowd watching us).
me: (thinking to myself, um...okay? That doesn't make sense since NO ONE else in the line has TWO babies to get on to a plane...in fact I'm pretty sure I was the only one on the whole plane with any small children)...then I hear myself say...
"I'm getting on the plane." and I hand him my tickets and start WALKING DOWN THE TERMINAL!
him: (calling down the terminal) "Ma'am you are just making this harder for yourself."
me: (thinking, "I can't believe I did that" and also wondering when I will be put in handcuffs, turn around) Sir, I have TWO BABIES here! TWO BABIES!
him: "SO WHAT!"
(I turn around and head down the terminal to the plane...and burst into tears)
I get on the plane and the most ANGELIC stewardess greets me.
her: "Oh, what's wrong?"..."Are you okay?"
me: (sobbing) "I just walked past the line...I can't believe I did that I'm just so stressed out...sob,sob..."
her: "Oh my, don't you worry, let's get you and your babies seated...everything will be okay."
me: sob, sob, "Thank you."
She then proceeded to help me get Laurel buckled in and then myself...I was waiting for security to come at any moment but nothing happened. I still couldn't regain my composure...I was just so embarrassed about the scene I had just made and so completely overwhelmed by the day in general (not to mention the lack of sleep that is always accompanying me).
People started filing in...the same people who had witnessed this whole scene...I was of course in the very front seat and so all of them saw me sitting there obviously in tears...I just turned my head and tried in vain again to regain my composure. There was one aisle seat left next to me but no one wanted to sit there! I don't blame them! I was probably quite a sight.
Finally a security guy came on and found me right away.
him: "We have a problem."
me: "Yes we do."
him: " What you did was totally inexcusable..."
me: "I know, I am so sorry, I still can't believe I did it."
him: "You cannot do that..."
me: "Again sir, I am so sorry. I am not trying to excuse myself, but I was told I could pre-board twice by SWA and...
him: "Our policy says that you can pre-board after the "A" group"
me: "I was never told this." "I have already missed a flight, I am not trying to excuse myself but this has been a very stressful day and I guess I just lost control."
him: (softening a little bit) "Okay, don't let this ever happen again." "Have a better day."
me: "thanks"
him: (leaves and then comes back) "Here is your luggage claim information, you may need this." (smiling)
Finally the nicest guy asks if he can sit down. He is on his way to see his 18 month old son. His girlfriend left him and took the baby so he has been having a really rough time. Laurel starts crying and Maisy is starting to wake up. He asks if he can help and ends up holding Laurel the whole time (very happily). We have a great flight and talk a lot about what miracles babies are etc. I told him he was an answer to prayer. He smiled and said that he enjoyed every minute of the flight. The plane desended and we started to leave, as we left the angelic stewardess stopped him and said "Thanks for taking care of her." I stopped her and said "Thanks for being so kind to me." She smiled. I swear she was an angel.
That is the story...here are my thoughts:
First, I still can't believe I behaved the way I did, but looking back I do understand it a little. Wasn't it obvious that I would need some extra help boarding the plane and wouldn't it be better for EVERYONE on the flight if they let me pre-board and get situated?
Second, I was NEVER told about the "boarding after the "A" group" that should be something that everyone makes clear to you especially if you call SWA and specifically ask them about pre-boarding policies.
Third, I was right that there are plenty of really nice, helpful people in this world but there are also a few rude, judgmental, unhelpful people too. I'm going to keep trying really hard to still assume that all people are really nice deep down.
And last but not least, Laurel and Maisy have a mom that can blow at any moment.
What are your thoughts? Did you know that Southwest had this policy? What have your experiences been flying with babies? I want to know!
P.S. I looked online today to see if anyone else was upset about this LAME policy and found THIS. It's an online petition to get them to change the policy. They still need quite a few people to sign up...if you have a moment, and you agree that the policy needs to change would you sign up? Thanks!
P.P.S. I'm completely in love with Jeff. He came to the airport looking devilishly handsome with a rose and a long understanding hug. I was SO happy to see him.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
I FLY SWA...NO MORE!!!
Posted by Hannah Stevenson at 1:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


21 comments:
whoa, you are so gangster! as i was reading this, i kept saying, NO WAY, NO WAY. way to stick it to them hannah :) (I still think this post was a dream...I could never see you doing this, not that its bad, its just so gangsta! so "I do what I want! I'm from the streets!")
i agree their boarding policy SUCKS. but as someone who flies southwest ALL THE TIME, i've never had a problem with them. they have this new policy where they give you numbers and you have to line up according to your number. well, i fly so much they automatically made sure i was in the top 15 no matter what. also, because i fly so much (and use their CC for all my business expenses) callie can hop on a plane where ever I fly for free (well like $5 for the security fees). and to boot, i earned 11 free tickets last year.
so here i sit in dallas for a wedding i shot yesterday with callie, isaac, & lulu. it cost literally $30 for all of us to fly down here (thank you southwest).
anyway, we get back on monday. and i am going to demand, as you demanded that sometime this next week, you take some time out with your husband and 2 kids, and call me and set up a time to do some pictures before those 2 little ones grow one more inch. i don't want to hear about oh, well, my hair is not right or well, jeff has to build a super computer for the CIA. don't make me get all "i'm from the streets" on you!
but seriously, give me a call. it is defintely time to do some picts...
this post is hands down, the best thing I've read in years.
I'm not laughing...but it's sound just like you...sweet little you turns Hulk style! Yeah I knew about SWA new policy I've always thought it was lame! you are a champ!
smile!
George W. Bush on sacrifice:
"I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I
had a choice, I'd rather go to war."
Houston Chronicle, January 2002
I loved your post. One of our ancestors (Margaret Gardner I think??) gave birth 9 days after reaching the Salt Lake Valley as a pioneer. You definitely have that same strong blood coursing through your veins. What lucky girls you have with their amazing mother!
XOXOXOXOXOXO
Thanks for nothing SWA! LAME.
And oh. my. word. Hannah, I honestly can't believe you did that! I think it's AWESOME, but I cannot believe you actually just walked onto the plane. You rock. This is my favorite post. And way to go Jeff with the rose!
Oh my goodness Hannah, I wanted to cry just reading this! You rock! I don't think I would have had the guts to do what you did. Thank goodness you had at least two people on your side. Tender mercies. So, when's your next flight??? ;)
After reading your post I was reminded of your strength and not taking no for an answer. It brings me back to the time your car was booted at our condo in Utah and you asked the totally third party man if he actually enjoyed making people miserable as his occupation.
On another note, however did you forget that Aiden is probably one of the most traveled two year olds you know? I wish I could have enlightened you ahead of your travels. Shae says I should write a book on how to travel with young children. I might just do so. Can I put your experience in it?
We do agree with you, we think Southwest's new policy is rediculous but there is a way around it. I think you can do it when you check in downstairs but if not, then at the gate before your flight. You tell them your circumstances (I don't think anyone but that rude man you ran into would turn you down) and then they give you a blue pre-boarding sleeve. That blue sleeve is your ticket on the plane ahead of the A group. Also there is a separate pre-boarding line you can wait in. If you don't have a blue sleeve you do have to wait until A group boards so try to be at the front of that line.
The last time we traveled SWA we were after the A group but I remember a family behind us who did get to go with the blue-sleeve group because one of their children had Autism. You just have to know the ropes ahead of time which obviously the people on the phone were unaware of. Next time call us! Did you also know that if you are traveling with a lap child and the plane is not full they have to let you use your car seat in an empty seat for free! I have many other little tidbits but this post is already a novel, so now you have to call me!
Love you all!
YIKES! We fly Tuesday morning on SWA from Detroit to Denver. I hope we have better luck than you do. Any extra tips? I am glad you made it home in one piece and that you had sweet Jeff to come home to!
Okay Hannah, where to begin?
1. I'm adding this to my list of things to think of when being attacked by some creepo. The list currently includes you saying, "What do you think you're doing? Turn around and run the other way, NOW!"
2. SKY CAP - Checking your bags curbside is definitely worth the couple of bucks plus tip so you don't have to wait in stupid hour long lines.
3. I LOVE the way you take care of yourself and those you love. OF COURSE you should have gotten on that plane and I can't believe that guy who makes all those decisions was seriously trying to throw his authority around like some fat cop to a woman carrying TWO BABIES. If I were there I would have jumped in on the out of character, movie like action and led the audience in cheering for you and booing the SWA employee who should be fired and booed and hissed at while being escorted out of the terminal and airport.
4. What did the security guy who came on the plane after you think he was going to do?
5. Can you imagine the first lame head decision maker when he saw that the second security guy came off the plane without you? I mean I can only guess that he was hoping for some kind of dramatic escort off the plane and a ban from flying SWA because he decided that's what he wanted!
6. Oh man, this is making me laugh so much.
7. Anyone who says "So what!" to "Sir, I have two babies here! TWO BABIES!" deserves to have no friends and die of gonorrhea.
8. Jeff is the best.
9. I can't wait to see you in real life.
10. Me and Micah love you. From this story we love, "I'm getting on the plane." the most. YOU ARE THE BEST AND YOUR GIRLS ARE SO LUCKY!
Hannah - you rock. Camille told me to read your blog ASAP and I was very rewarded for doing so. Shout out to motherhood and to standing up for what you need.
Hannah, i don't know if you know this, but you rock.
I pictured the entire thing happening play by play and as I was reading it my mouth kept opening wider and wider. It was like a movie climax where I was thinking "no way." When the security guard actually found you I think my palms got all sweaty! What an experience. We fly American Airlines because of Diane so we've never had any issues. Then again, I don't have TWO BABIES! This story is proof that when someone is messing with your kids...there is a mama lion hiding with in us all. I love this story. I got all choked up at this wonderful guy who helped you. The Lord does't take away our trials but he sure sends manna from heaven to help us make it through.
Thanks everyone for your comments...they mean a lot to me. I still don't know if it was totally the right thing to do...looking back I wish I would have handled it a bit more peaceably...I don't regret standing up for myself but I think I probably could have done it without breeching security :). What if they would have hauled me away? That would have definitely not been the best thing for Laurel and Maisy.
Jeff says it was the right thing to do because now SWA will have a meeting about the events of that day and ask "What happened there?" and maybe think some more about their LAME policy...he may be right and if so it was worth it.
ANYWAY...now I am prepared for the next time we fly. I will do a few things very differently.
Just want you to know that Michael and I were absolutely appalled by how they treated you. Of course, the policy in itself is absurd, but no one should speak to a customer (or any human being) like that. I response to "I have two babies" should not be followed up with "So what?" in any circumstance.
Thanks for sharing the story!
Oh Hannah, I am in tears just reading about what happened to you! How stressful! I can't believe how awful they treated you. The other thing I can't believe is that no one in the line stood up for you. They obviously have never had a baby (or TWO for that matter)to take anywhere and don't understand how hard it is to do it all with only 2 arms. It seems to me like when I fly and families board first they are the FIRST to go on. Wow, I will definitely learn from your experience (and sign the petition!). I may have to fly home this summer for a family reunion and THAT has started stressing me out about how I will do it all alone. It is hard enough to get to church all in one piece! Anyway, I am glad you are home and safe and sound. And that Jeff understands. That definitely helps. As I was reading, the anxiety/worry kept building up for you. Anyway, I am glad it is over!
Hannah, sorry to hear you had to endure such a trying experience. I too was a big SWA fan, not so much anymore.
The guy at the gate has what we call, "small man syndrome." A person with very little authority who likes to exercise it. And since this doesn't happen very much he has a poor grasp on reality and his insignificance in the big picture. You are quite the trooper. And Jeff, you are the man. I am taking notes...
Congrats again on your two beautiful girls!
I think you did things better than most first time mothers of twins!! I can't believe the airline treated you this way. I agree with you, that it was in the best interest of everyone to have you pre-board first. DUH! I hope your experience will be for the benefit of another mother.
Life is a learning experience and I'm grateful I read your post as I will know what to expect someday when I have kids!
Love you Hannah!
Hannah, you are the ultimate story teller. Heather told me this story before I read it on the blog and I have to tell you...hearing it from you was that much better. You had me outraged, laughing, sitting in complete disbelief..the roller coaster of emotions was too sweet..that's the sign of a good story teller. You have a knack for drama. I could totally see this story on the news or the Hannah Anderson Stevenson true Hollywood story. I'm so glad it all worked out for you in the long run. You are correct...you had TWO BABIES...that's right count them....ONE, TWO BABIES!!!!! His response is just unbelievable. You should really take it upon yourself to complain about that person specifically...he demonstrated ZERO customer service. People in those positions should not be allowed to get away with it...YOU HAVE TWO BABIES. His punishment...working in a day care with at least two babies of the exact same age! Anyway Han, thanks for putting a smile on my face. Great writing..this will be a story to share with the girls when they are older. They are lucky to have a slightly "crazy" mother. All good mothers need some slight "craziness"
Vaughn Curtis Larsen
Hannah... You Rock! Sure there might have been a better way to handle it... I just can't think of one right now…! LOL
Maybe you could have said… "so... like... if you make that exception for me... then you'll have to make it for the other 45 mothers with twins standing in line... IS THAT RIGHT Sir.?!?" Not that it would have helped... I'd like to share your blog with some people... Do you care? I sent your letter without your identity other than your name to pretty much everybody I know... I've ALWAYS been boarded FIRST out of courtesy, on any and ALL airlines when I had a child under two. What he did was absolutely NOT acceptable for them to do to you under ANY Circumstances... "Women and children first"? Have they ever heard of that? Even on the Titanic that was the policy!!! Any way... I feel inclined to get this story around...
-Hugs- Rebecca
Ok here is my opinion about any new mom willing to go away on their own with just one baby never mind two..... Courageous, outstanding, CRAZY!!!! It was great that you blew up! Life is hard and some people try and succeed to make it even harder. Those people need to run into mothers like us who even when alone with our babies we will still stand up for ourselves and not back down. Always stand up fpr yourself!!!!!!
We love kids and airplane stories. We have a few ourselves, but nothing as stressful as this! It's hilarious (in retrospect). Glad to find your blog! We love your family, and blogs definitely help close the distance!
Way to go Hannah! Isn't defying airport personnel so gratifying. It's one of the few times you feel great about telling someone that their rules suck. I recently had an interesting experience with SWA as well, I'll post it someday.
Post a Comment