"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns."
- George Eliot
seeking the successive autumns."
- George Eliot
There is something of magic for me at this time of the year. My soul is full of gratitude to God for all the bounty we get to enjoy from the earth. For me autumn has always been the reward after a long, hot, summer. At the first taste of autumn my mind brings me back to my mission and the joy that autumn brought me then. I arrived to Connecticut in the middle of July and was assigned to a bike area. It was hot, humid and wet...I remember thinking "What did I get myself into?" But then late September came and with it a cool breeze, apples from the tree right by our apartment, homes decorated with mums and corn husks and leaves of every color. That was one of the happiest times of my life...complete joy...riding through the leaves on my bike with the brisk air flowing through my hair and beauty, bountiful beauty all around me and a complete love for every human being I met. It seems like that love comes back to me every year at this time...how can it not when I'm surrounded by so many reminders of God's love for me? He is truly a kind and generous Father.
Here's a little taste of what our harvest has been this year:
Here's a little taste of what our harvest has been this year:
The apples this year have been amazing. We pruned the tree in the spring and cut off a lot. We were a little bit nervous that we cut off too much but boy were we wrong...the apples grew at least twice as big as they were last year...just so beautiful and yummy!
We discovered grapes last year on the side of our property but they weren't very abundant so we thought the vine was just old. This year however, they really did well and are so sweet! I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them, I'll probably just make grape jelly.

We decided to plant our own baby pumpkins this year. We did white and orange to decorate for Halloween. They did well although they kind of took over the garden.
Tomatoes always do well here and this year was no exception. We planted a new variety (at least to us) called Cherry Roma's. They are like mini Roma tomatoes...very tasty but hard to do much with in the way of storage. I think next year we'll just do one or two of this plant.
No, we didn't plant this wheat but we are finally storing some of it! I just thought it was so beautiful as we poured it into the storage bins. I'm posting a wheat/bean storage tutorial here (based on these instructions) if anyone is interested.


14 comments:
gorgeous pictures and sentiment! :)
What a great garden! You make my measly zucchini seem...measly. I loved the part about Connecticut too. I remember a similar experience driving on the Merritt Parkway in autumn...driving from Hamden to Woodbridge and feeling like I'd burst from the beauty of it all. Ah, Connecticut...
Hey Hannah. I just wanted to let you know how adorable your little girls are. They are just so sweet. Also, congratulations on your new little addition. I hope that you are feeling well. Take care.
Meagan Johnson
Yes there is a Powerade Zero on my counter and about 20 more in storage that I got basically for FREE!! :) Your too funny to have noticed that! Your girls are too cute.
Hannah... love the pictures and thoughts about fall... I am missing fall this year! It is still about 98 everyday down here in AZ!
Oh and CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy! How exciting!
Hooray on your garden and trees for producing so well. Don't you love the feeling of all the money you are saving?
What a bountiful harvest! I have to tell you both Jordan and I were envious when we saw your delicious tomatoes. We didn't get here in time to plant anything on our little patio and oh how we crave a good home grown tomato! Good for you guys!
I love your garden! And, I'm so jealous! We got a few squash and a few tomatoes so my flower pot garden experiment didn't go that well. Oh well, maybe next year we can have a real garden.
Hannah,
Looks like your garden was very fruitful this year. Only if I were there to can with you. I have a friend here who has grapes and she makes grape juice with them. Good luck.
love ya!
Hannah,
Let's be honest and say that I am totally impressed by your garden! You never cease to amaze me! Love you, friend!!! Hope the pregnancy is going well! Twins again??? :)
Congrats on the great garden. These are great pictures and your sentiments of fall are shared by me. I love the fresh tomatoes and squash. I miss the days of making cream corn with my grandmother. You could eat that stuff like it were candy...delicious!!! Your family is turning in to the poster family of provident living!!!
Hannah, I don't have another way to get in touch with you right now (we lost your phone number as far as I can tell, sorry), so I am using your blog. Sorry. I was wondering if I could get you to email me your docs information. My email is melanee.dahl@yahoo.com. I hope all is well with you!
Hannah, I check your blog daily for updates and all the pictures of your harvest make me hungry! I'm anxious to see pictures of those girls soon. Better yet, call and let's make plans to get together so I can see you all in person!
Hi Hannah! So fun to read about you and your growing family! Your girls are darling! Congrats on the new one on the way! (: Love all your your beautiful garden goods! They sure look yummy!
Post a Comment