My sister Britta and I got to spend a whole week and a half together with my parents and our kids in Sparks. It has been years since we have had time to be together without husbands and other siblings (don't worry, we love our husbands and our siblings). We stayed up later than we should have and laughed at jokes only we think are funny. It was pure, unadulterated HEAVEN.
I wish I could express how deeply I love my sister, Britta. She has always been an example of pure goodness. I firmly believe that the day guile was handed out, she was absent. She possesses none of it.
Many, many times growing up, I wished I could have her carefree, fun loving spirit. She never seemed to care how others saw her, she only cared about how she treated them. Those that are lucky enough to call her "friend" know that there is none more loyal and true then Britta.
From the day I became a full-time mother, Britta and I both bought headsets so that we could chat for hours on the phone and still have our hands free to do what we needed to. Most of the time we talk about nothing. There are even long periods of time when we don't say a word, but just to know that the other sister is on the line and hearing each other work or teach children is enough.
Sometimes we talk about things that can only be shared with a Sister. With her I can be the women I want and need to be and at the same time be the girl she has always known. The world may see her as a 33 year old mother of four, wife, and all of those things. But I will always see a kaleidoscope of colors: an artist, a tomboy, a child with long blond, beautiful hair, a supporter, the guinea pig of any beauty secret I wanted to try, a faithful missionary, the lover of Neil (TODAY!), the first to do everything, nights of driving and singing to R.E.M. at the top of our lungs, the receiver of countless speeding tickets, the natural beauty, "Bertha Boo" and so, so much more.
Today I went in to get Laurel and Maisy when they woke up from their nap. I took Maisy over to Laurel's crib and as usually happens they both gave each other a huge smile and giggled. They thrill in seeing each other after a short absense. That is how I feel when I get to see my sister...I giggle inside.



11 comments:
I don't believe that your sister you describe can actually exist. That someone as perfect as you thinks so much of someone is truely a feat. I wish I knew your sister too.
I agree. I don't know how anyone can make it through life without a sister. Thanks for being my sister too, Hannah, even if it is in law. :)
Ah. I hope you guys had a wonderful time. Sister's are great. But, I am actually abusing your blog (once again) to try and get in touch with you. Can you email me your docs info? Pretty please! melanee.dahl@yahoo.com that would be amazing. Thank you!
Hannah,
You have to give yourself some credit for being a good sister too.
I really liked this. I hope my girls are able to have such a good relationship, and I believe they will. They laugh so much together already.
I am spending the week in Colorado with my sister right now. Sometimes I feel so sorry for my only daughter because she can never have this special relationship.
i can't even tell you how jealous this post makes me, as one who has always wished for a sister! what beautiful thoughts and a wonderful tribute to your sister. i wish i'd had the opportunity to know her better in "real" life. (hey, at least i've actually met HER - maybe someday we'll get to meet in real life, too - chris speaks so highly of you!)
I love this...thanks for sharing!
Hannah, you made me cry...
I totally agree with you, it would be super hard to get through life without my sister. I also think Britta is an amazing person.
Describes Britta perfectly. Sure do miss the REM singing and her carefree attitude. I smile whenever I think about all of the things you said.
Sherry
Here I am Chisty! I exist! Thanks Hannah for that. You are sooo nice. You've been my example, my strength, and also very lucky when it came to speeding tickets (in the right place at the right time), I love you dearly and get excited when the phone rings and the caller i.d. says HANNAH.
What a happy mother's heart I have reading this tribute to Britta. I happen to know that you, Hannah, possess the qualities, too, that make for a great relationship between you two sisters. I'm just grateful the two of you turned out so well in spite of your parentage and wild home life. Maybe all those brothers helped you bond together in defense. Thanks again for coming and sharing sister time and grandchildren time with me. We loved it and hope we can do it again.
Post a Comment