"The ordinary acts we practice
every day at home are of more
importance to the soul than their
simplicity might suggest."
-Thomas Moore
The day we left Utah, both mom and I realized that we hadn't yet visited Grandma and Grandpa Anderson to introduce them to baby Ollie. We knew that though the day was filled to the brim with things to pack and do, we couldn't not see them. I'm so glad we did.
When we arrived, grandpa was outside getting the mail and picking up the day's paper. It was just an ordinary day not unlike many of the other days the girls and I had gone for a visit.
Little did we know it would be our last time seeing Grandma and Grandpa in their home. About two weeks after we arrived in Reno, Grandma had a fall and it was decided that they would both move to an assisted living home down the street.
It's amazing what this humble little duplex in Orem, Utah means to me.
Grandpa leading the way with the paper in his hand
The box of toys that is at least 25 years old
Love this picture mostly because you can see Super Grandpa and Wonder Grandma made by Bryce...Classic.
The Girls looking out the sliding glass door for the last time...I kept as much of the detail in the picture as I could, like the kitchen table and the calendar with all of the birthdays and the clock radio that was always playing when I lived there....
This simple home is full of memories for me. Here are just a few:
- Decades worth of family reunions full of cousins, aunts, uncles, lots of food and lots of fun!
- I stayed for a semester while attending BYU. There was always an abundance of love. Grandma and Grandpa had two bedrooms, one for them and one to share with whomever needed a place to stay.
- The spare bedroom had a library full of books about the gospel. Grandpa is always reading something inspiring. There was also a typewriter set up for Grandpa to record what happened each day.
- Cedric, Sarah, Scout and Baxter lived downstairs for a while and the girls and I visited many times to enjoy both occupants (upstairs and down).
- At least once a year during my adult life, we would gather here to watch General Conference. The couches were always way too comfortable! :)
- A beautiful yard full of fruit trees,flowers and Grandma's amazing garden.
- Games, games, GAMES most importantly, UNO games.
- This is where I received my Patriarchal blessing at the hands of my humble and inspired Grandfather.
- Before going through the in vitro process, I sat in the living room, tears of hope in my eyes with the hands of some of the men I love most on my head and received a blessing of comfort. I felt an assurance that all would be well and we would be blessed with children
- Grandma always offering a treat and saying "take two they're small".
- Grandpa always wanting a kiss on the lips and both of them sitting and listening to all of life...every detail, and really caring.
It's just a shabby little duplex but so many important and wonderful things happened inside of those walls. Love happened there...pure and simple love.








5 comments:
This is wonderful Hannah. Tears in my eyes.
OH, I know this is just how I will feel when my grandparents have passed on and left their home. I lived with them off and on for 4 years in college. It was really hard when my grandpa fell and broke his back 3 years ago and they put him in a retirement center. He actually recovered enough after 6 months that he was able to move home, but it has never been the same since. They added all sorts of safety things to the home and he is just not the same. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Oh Hannah, that was so fun to remember all those things. Makes me want to go back in time just to relive those memories.
I remember Grandma always saying, "Get out of my kitchen!" when we were helping with the dishes or something. (We never did get out...maybe deep down she didn't want us too.) Also, remember playing skipbo with both of them and we caught them passing cards to each other under the table? Fun memories! I know I will miss that place too.
What a nice tribute to your grandparents.
I am SO GLAD you were able to visit them in THEIR HOME before they left. It is hard to see beloved grandparents get older.
Post a Comment