Saturday, July 18, 2009

Downstairs.

I don't think I've ever mentioned on this blog that one of the main reasons we bought our home was because there is a basement apartment (about the same size as our upstairs) that can be rented out. We liked the idea of having someone else pay half of our mortgage and it's worked out pretty well. Except for one thing...the fact that we became VERY attached to our last neighbors, the Kimberlins...also known as "Downstairs."

Let me tell you how it all started.

When it was time for our first renters to move, we listed the apartment and received an overwhelming response. We had a lot of people to choose from, so we knew we could be a little bit picky. Jeff wanted renters who would pay on time and who weren't "needy". I at that point in time wanted/needed a friend. Not just any friend...someone I could completely be myself around...someone who just got me. I decided to pray. I prayed specifically that Heavenly Father would send me a friend and that this friend would live in our basement.

Soon we received an email from Matthew Kimberlin. He was emailing from Oregon. He wanted the apartment...site unseen. He was coming with his wife, Lori to be an MBA student at BYU. Jeff and I talked and Jeff liked the fact that he would pay right away and didn't even want to see the place. I emailed Matthew back and said, "Doesn't your wife want to see it first?" "I mean the ceiling is only 7 ft. tall!" He responded that his wife was fine with it and they were excited to meet us. So we prayed about the Kimberlins and felt really good about them.

Move-in day came. I remember peeking out of the bathroom window to get a glimpse of the them. I saw Lori. She looked normal! She looked nice! She was/is just naturally beautiful and easy going and happy. Matthew looked the same (except for the naturally beautiful part...he isn't bad looking...just not beautiful...sorry Matthew).

They got moved in and came up for dinner that evening. We talked and laughed and talked and laughed even harder and the rest is history. We just clicked. They get us.

When they moved in, we were both just married couples...no kidlets. I was very early pregnant with the twins. In the time they moved in and left, 4 babies were born (3 by us...thank you very much and 1 awesome, easy going, beautiful, Andrew by them).

Matthew succeeded in getting his MBA and now they are unpacking (after living in Hawaii for a month...whatever) their boxes in Los Angeles. Matthews going to work for a company that does your laundry for you and cuts your hair while you work...yeah they are literally moving up in the world...leaving us all behind.

We have a new renter. He's a recently divorced fellow named Frank who enjoys fixing old cars (which thankfully are housed at his ex-wife's home). He seems nice. But he doesn't dote on the girls like Matthew always did and he doesn't leave me funny little notes or excitedly show me his latest sewing project like Lori did. He won't giggle and drool and make my whole day better like Andrew did. Nope.

I just read this to Jeff and bawled the whole time. You just really never know how much you love someone until they are gone from your everyday. We still email and call...but MAN I just miss having them a few steps away.

Anyway. We miss you Kimberlins. Why'd you have to be so cool? Oh yeah...because I prayed that you would. Thanks for being part of that answered prayer.

Some memories:

Oh........hi.

Matthew and Andrew mummified...Halloween 2008


Lori and Andrew three days old

Just hanging out

Oh...hello.

Matthew wants us to tell the girls that at one point, Santa lived downstairs.
Ward Christmas party Dec. 2008

Andrew getting some play time in before his first trip to Hawaii

2 comments:

Janae said...

I am glad you had such good friends. That makes all the difference!

Britta said...

Beautiful post Hannah. I know how you feel. I miss having Sariah here to just hang out with and let our kids play all day. Those were good times.