Thursday, August 28, 2008

School Days

Jeff started his first semester of Grad School today! What a smartie pants. He is getting his Masters in Computer Science from Utah State University. He will be doing the distance learning program at Utah Valley University which worked out perfectly for him and us. We don't have to move to Logan and he knows the UVU campus very well since that is where he received his undergraduate degree. The company he works for actually pays for him to do this so we had to take advantage of a great opportunity.

I think I'm more excited about him going back to school than he is (maybe because he has to actually DO it). We went and looked at some of the new buildings on the UVU campus which are AMAZING. I was just giddy for him. I saw a group of what looked like freshman girls running and looking so happy by one of the buildings. Memories flooded my mind of my first year at Ricks College. I just remember feeling so free and so thrilled about the future. Everyone I met smiled and said hello...there was a fresh, new, excitement in the air. I can still remember the smells, the clothes, the apartment, the food...everything about those first few days of college. It really was magic. This week I reconnected with my first ever roommate Amy (used to be Horton). It was so fun to catch up. I can't believe it has really been almost 15 years!

So this morning Jeff dug out his backpack and grabbed a whole bunch of fruit snacks and was on his way. So exciting! I felt a little tinge of jealousy. Someday I'll go back. But for right now, I'll just be happy hearing about database systems, algorithms and other things I don't think I'll ever "get". Have a good day at school Jeff, I'm so proud of you!

6 comments:

Kerri said...

I am glad Jeff started before your next one comes. This way you can settle into the busyness of school first. There are so many excuses to put off doing your graduate work, it is smart to just get it started...then he is that much closer to being finished!

For some reason, I don't think Ben even knows Jeff is starting his masters. I will have to tell him. He will be impressed. I hope it flies by quickly for all five of you.

coryshay said...

wow!! 2 and 1/2 babies AND grad school!! Good luck Jeff!What a great opportunity... oh and if you ever have need of a ballet class at UVU as part of your masters I'm in LA 154 ;)

Maria said...

What a great opportunity. I think if Jordan's employer would pay for a masters he would do it... in a few years of course!

I too remember my first time on Ricks College campus. I LOVED that everyone said hello and that the campus is absolutely beautiful! Ricks College was (is?) a magical place.

The Johnson Family said...

Oh Ricks...oh roommates...oh the memories. Good luck to Jeff!

Devon and Alicia said...

Good Luck Jeff! I hope you make some good friends. :) Did you pick out your outfit the night before and wear new shoes?

Brittany S. G. said...

Isn't it funny that Jeff and I are both going to the same school? :) hahaha.