This year is the celebration of 90 years for my Grandma Dahl. She is such an amazing woman. For the reunion, we were all asked to write a letter to her and include pictures to put in a little book for her to be able to read whenever she wishes. I thought I'd post my letter to her for my own record and to share with my family and friends. She is pure gold...I hope to be half the woman she is. Here's my letter:
Dear Grandma,
I was so happy when Mom asked us each write a letter to you. As I have prepared to write this, I have been reminded of the many letters you sent to me while I was in college and on a mission. I remember one night in particular when I was attending Ricks College. I was the Relief Society president at the time and was feeling very overwhelmed and alone. It seemed like that Friday evening everyone had plans…except for me. I decided to go see what had come in the mail. There was a letter from you. You were just recovering from surgery to remove some cancer. You talked about how nice it was to be able to be out in the yard and how beautiful everything was. You told me you loved me. I remember marveling at how you could see beauty all around you when you were probably in pain. I remember just crying because of how much you meant to me and how timely your letter was. I felt that your letter was an answer to my prayers.
I can’t remember a time when I haven’t completely admired you. You have always been the person that I have wanted to be like the most. Your kindness and easy going nature and quiet dignity are so precious to me. I learned so much more about this when we went to Scotland together. What an amazing experience and time that was! I still can’t believe how lucky I was to get to go! I have so many happy memories of you. I decided then that you are a kindred spirit.
All those hours in the back seat of that car on those thin windy roads listening to my parents argue about which way we should be going and just looking at each other and smiling. I still remember stopping by the side of the road and picking heather and then taking a picture of you holding it with your cute smile. You were such a trooper! There was never a complaint and you were always willing to keep on going. You would have been such a fun missionary companion. You work hard but you know how to make every moment fun.
I will always cherish the evenings we spent in our hotel/bed and breakfast rooms. We were both love-sick. I remember telling you all about my dashing fiancé and hearing about how much you loved and missed Grandpa. I want to love Jeff with the same deep, beautiful love you have for Grandpa.
I will always remember that you were there in the bride’s room on my wedding day. Your presence there meant so much to me. I remember I had to use the bathroom and everyone was worried because I had my big white dress on. You had a smile on your face and said you’d come with me…we all ended up going as an entourage to the bathroom!
I’m so thankful you taught my Mom by quiet example how to be a good wife, mother and disciple. The older I become and the more of life I get to experience, the more I realize that you couldn’t have given her or me anything greater. I will forever be grateful for your selfless example and love.
Happy 90th my Grandma, my Friend.
I love you,Hannah


2 comments:
I'm glad you're back! I missed seeing your new posts. I loved this tribute to Grandma. Aren't we lucky kids to have her? I wish we could have been there for the reunion.
Hey looks like you guys had lots of fun. I love the girls outfits! Do you make them? By the way we changed our blog address to quentinandrhiannplusthree.blogspot.com I totally got the idea from you :)
Post a Comment