WARNING: THIS IS A POST ABOUT NURSING AND CONTAINS
SOME GRAPHIC DETAILS...THERE MAY BE SOME OF YOU
WHO WOULD RATHER NOT READ THIS.
SOME GRAPHIC DETAILS...THERE MAY BE SOME OF YOU
WHO WOULD RATHER NOT READ THIS.
I hesitated to do this post because it is very personal and makes me feel pretty vulnerable. But I think it's important to document real life...even the hard stuff.
Thrush is a bad word at our house. It brings on a lot of emotions...I think because it represents a little piece of failure for me.
And I'm not even sure that's what has been plaguing Norah and my nursing relationship. That's what the Lactation Consultants think it is...well after we had Norah's tongue clipped (they suspected she was tongue tied). But we have tried everything...EVERYTHING and the pain is still here.
It started with the usual soreness/bleeding that I was prepared for. I talked with a Lactation Consultant in the hospital who showed me how to latch her on better. That seemed to help a little bit but the pain just seemed to get worse...especially in between feedings. I endured for a couple of weeks thinking I just needed to toughen up. It was bearable since my Mom was here and I could really just focus on Norah and nursing. I was able to go to another Lactation Consultant who said it was probably Thrush or again that she was tongue tied. She gave me all kinds of things to do for thrush. I left feeling completely overwhelmed and annoyed but determined. Annoyed because I felt like this lady wasn't understanding my reality at all. She lived in a land where there is time to spend an hour at each feeding stripping both myself and my baby to do skin to skin contact and that putting purple dye all over myself and in my babies mouth would be a cute, fun memory. I don't live in that land..sorry. I took all of the information she had and went from there.
I got online and read all about the pro's and con's of getting a baby's tongue clipped and found that it really isn't a big deal. We decided that before we tried all of the Thrush remedies to rule out the tongue tied theory and get her clipped. It was a very simple procedure. She was asleep when the Dr. did it and didn't even wake up...it was seriously not a big deal. I was relieved. I was excited too because I hoped this would be the answer. Sadly, it wasn't.
So we went on to the Thrush theory. We started out with Gentian Violet (nasty, nasty stuff) for three days...no relief, just purple everywhere. Next I did grapefruit seed extract with acidopholis pills for about five days (actually still taking these). Nothing. Then I had my doctor call in a prescription for Nystatin cream and medicine for me and Norah. Nope. In fact it made my nipples more dry and sensitive. At this point I had blisters and a few boils on my nipples...one on the tip of one of my nipples that hurt so bad just brushing against it brought tears to my eyes (sorry for that mental picture). I dreaded feeding Norah because the pain was so overwhelming.
One night I was alone (Jeff was at Scouts) and so completely exhausted and in so much pain (c-section, UTI and thrush) that I gave in and made Norah a bottle of formula (we had some in the cupboard left over from the girls). I felt like a failure but at the same time felt so relieved that I didn't have to go through the pain of feeding her. I actually focused on her instead of on her latch. I nursed her a few hours later and throughout the night.
Then I thought that maybe if I could just pump a few times a day instead of nurse, it would give my chest a break. I did this throughout the weekend when Jeff was at home keeping the girls away from me and all of the wires and tubes that accompany a breast pump...but when Monday came...I knew that wasn't going to work. I was still in pain (I found out later that the flange thingy's were too small. Is this where the writer of The Princess Bride came up with the torture machine in the "Pit of Despair"?... seriously, these machines are strikingly similar).
Laurel and Maisy needed a Mom...not a fixture on the couch that begs them to stay away (they were both working on molars and really needed me to be a "there" mom). I nursed her again the next morning...and it was another very painful session. I think that was the breaking point. I decided that I would have to quit. Just quit. I just couldn't spend all of my waking hours doing this. I have two other baby's that need me too and poor Norah just needs to be able to eat in peace...not always having to re-latch if I'm in pain. Also, I was starting to completely dread her waking up and wanting food...no good.
So I quit cold turkey that day...and all I have to say is that I will NEVER do that again. Major engorgement pain that couldn't even be touched with the strongest ibuprofen from the hospital for my c-section. That lasted about four long days.
I didn't nurse at all for about a week. I was so sad and emotional about it. I missed the closeness I felt even though it was painful...It truly was sacred at times. I went through mourning I think. I felt like a quitter.
But I didn't feel torn. I was able to be on the floor with Laurel and Maisy and they could even help me feed Norah. Jeff told me that he liked it that he could feed Norah too. He missed the closeness he had felt with the girls when he helped with feeding them. I liked it that I could actually sleep for more than two hours at a time.
Our family life definitely has improved because of this decision. But the words "Breast is Best" still ring in my ears...even though I have two healthy, happy girls that were mostly on formula from day one...I still have it in that back of my mind that I have failed in some way...that I didn't finish the marathon. I know with my mind that it is ridiculous.
My beloved cousin Olivia has listened to all of this ranting. She said the other day, "Don't you think it is Satan saying those things to you?" I know she is right. I need to stop doubting myself as a mother...I need to remember that I did what was best for the whole family. And really it has made our whole family so much happier. So I just have to remember that and focus on that.
Once I let go of the guilt, I am free to think of other things. At the beginning of last week I decided to build up my milk enough to be able to nurse Norah at least once or twice a day. This way we can still have that special time together before the girls wake up or after they are asleep. We have been doing this for about a week now and I am amazed that it is working! She latches right on and does really well. I am still a little sore but I have time to heal in between and it is so worth it to have that bonding time with Norah Jane. We'll see how long it lasts, but for right now it is really working for us.
I still have symptoms of thrush and Norah does too. We are off to see the Doctor tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can come up with some solutions...taking her off nursing for this period has helped...we'll see what happens.
Anyway, that's been our experience. I used to work in Reno for a place called Family to Family Connection. We'd have the La Leche League come and teach about the importance of breastfeeding. I vowed then that I would never give any of my children formula and that I would breastfeed each of them for at least a year. So far the longest I have gone is a month. It just goes to show you that you cannot judge others until you've walked in their shoes. Why have I had to learn that principle so many times?!
Here are some pictures of poor Norah looking like a little baby from Nightmare Before Christmas and NO Ms. Lactation Consultant, I don't think it's cute and NO it will not be a fun, happy memory...so THERE:


17 comments:
To each their own... we love you Hannah, and your little family. People like you are definitely not failures, because you are so good at helping others recognize that they aren't either! I commend you on your determination and willpower!
I'm sorry you had such a rough time. It's amazing how judgmental we can be of ourselves as mothers. You are so not a failure! You are a wonderful, loving, sacrificing mom. Hang in there! Thank goodness we live in a world that has formula.
I think you are fantastic. My sister went through a similar experience with baby #6. She cried a lot for the first month or 2. You just have to do what is best for your family. So kudos for you for even trying.
Hannah, you are the BEST! I couldn't help but remember your Southwest experience with the twins and agree with cousin Olivia that Satan is whispering those nasty things about failure to you. All you have to do is say, "I have three babies, sir. THREE BABIES!"
Hannah, you are great! ellie stopped nursing at 3 months because i got mastitis, and it was so hard for me. the first time someone else fed her i started sobbing! it is hard, but you did everything you could! you are a great mom:)
Thank you for sharing Hannah. I didn't have to go through what you have, but my milk never came in when James was born. It made me feel bad, but he is perfectly healthy and all he had was some colustrum and formula. I am glad you are staying pretty positive about it all. You are a good mom. You have your hands full!
Danielle
I loved this post Hannah. I love you. Be kind to yourself and enjoy those lovely babies.
Don't let yourself feel bad at all! You're doing great with all your babies!
When Evelyn was 5 months old, and sleeping throught the night I had to call the lactation specialist to ask a nursing question. She told me that my baby was too young to sleep through the night and that I should be waking her up every three hours to feed her until she was one year old... That was the last time I called a lactation specialist. They're so helpful, but I realized that mommy knows best.
Good luck!
oh hannah!! i'm SO SO SORRY you've been dealing with this! i think you're absolutely amazing. my breastfeeding philosophy is "if it's easy, i'll do it". if not, the towel is thrown in and it's fine, it's totally okay. you are such a trooper to go through all of that. oh, the purple, the purple!! i've heard about the purple, but i've never seen photos. that's pretty spectacular (you know, not in a good way). well, i think you're amazing! hope you're all feeling better about everything. hugs!!
Hannah--You are not a failure!!! Quite frankly, you're like one of the mothers of the century in my mind. Breast milk is nice, but it is so much more important that your girls have your time and you're happy to be with them. I think you made the right decision.
I had one angelic lactation specialist and I had another one that I just wanted to punch in the nose. It must go with the territory.
Oh Hannah, I am so sorry you've had such a rough time! That is really hard. I am glad you are able to nurse a little here and there - Jordan's Mom quit cold turkey on her first baby, at a doctor's suggestion, and then wasn't ever able to nurse any of the next 7 babies she had.
I was actually thinking about you a week or two ago and wondering how you were doing. I thought about calling but didn't. Now I wish I would have. I hope you find something that works for all of you! You are an amazing Mom & those girls are so lucky! I am so glad Jeff married you so I could get to know you! :)
I'm sorry you have had to go through all that misery. You are an amazing mom who just wants to do what is best for her baby. If you're miserable nursing, it isn't benefiting either of you. I used to feel the same way. I would nurse for at least a year. My first lost interest when he started solids and I just did like you, nursing for naps and bedtime. My second bit me and broke the skin so I weaned her quickly. With my third child I just did not enjoy nursing. So, I started alternating between bottle and breast. That was a mental or social challenge. I went through all the guilt. This last one I would like to stop nursing but at the same time she is my last one so I feel like I need to hang on to her infancy. She gets at least one bottle of formula a day and now she's started solids, too. It kind of makes me sad sometimes that she is so happy and reaches out for her bottle. She generally fusses when I try to nurse her except when it is nap time or bedtime. Wow this got too long. I ramble sometimes. I hope you are feeling better soon! Remember: Mother knows best!
Hey Hannah,
Your experiences sounds really similar to mine. I had flesh missing from my nipples, engorgement, etc. If you want to give me a call or need anything, just call me. 402-465-4244. I know everyone thinks they have the answer for you---I know it is incredibly painful and the learning curve is SO hard at times. If you have to supplement with formula while you are teaching her to latch and nurse properly, that's totally fine. Healing your nipples and getting the baby fed are the most important things, so if you only nurse a little each day and do some pumping,etc, while your nipples heal, that is great. The baby can reestablish the milk supply once you are healed up. It won't take long, and you will be glad you fought for this, it's worth it.
You're my breast friend. I love you!
I was feeling overwhelmed tonight about feeding my little NICU babies and thought I would take a few minutes and surf the internet to find out what is happening in the world and with my friends. How weird that I stumbled on your entry about feeding Norah. I just wanted to write quickly and let you know that your entry helped me feel better about nursing my boys. You've always been such a big help to me, you're the greatest!
Hannah, Never doubt that you are an AMAZING mother!!!! Please- never! As a mother myself, I don't understand why feeding can be so complicated. I myself am so grateful for formula since Andrew was hardly growing at all for the first 6 weeks. My advice is to just feed her.
Have I mentioned you are absolutely amazing??
You are in no way a failure. It does upset me when people get on their soapbox about breastfeeding and claiming we all can do it. I've had thrush with both our girls and painful infections...NOT fun...and I know I couldn't have continued nursing if I was in the pain you were in. The baby needs to be held and loved. They know if feeding time is upsetting to their Mama. Whatever way you end up feeding...do what is best for your situation and makes you and the baby comfortable and happy. :)
You, surely, are doing just that. Lots of love for you!!
Post a Comment